The metaverse concept is still new, and there's an impressive talk about approximately how to characterize it. India is prepared to help construct the metaverse with its flourishing tech division and culture of entrepreneurship. The Government of India is encouraging the development of a digital economy worth up to $1 trillion, and yes, it is happening!
Do you have a Sci-Fi fandom or do you love science fiction?
If so, this will undoubtedly be something for you to be interested in. Like every invention's history, 'Metaverse' also has its story!
Let us time travel back to 1982!
Neal Town Stephenson, an American writer known for his works of speculative fiction, first used the term "Metaverse" in his novel 'Snow Crash.' Snow Crash envisions a virtual reality-based storyline. Within the novel, individuals utilize computerized avatars of themselves to investigate the online world.
‘Snow Crash’ inspired the metaverse of how a virtual reality-based Internet might evolve shortly. To be tossed into Snow Crash’s Metaverse is about your digital avatar experiencing the virtual world that is your new reality.
What is Metaverse? A Second Life?
The Metaverse can be imagined as a virtual world where people, businesses, and digital platforms can exist, associate, and interact. It incorporates everything from virtual social and gaming stages (e.g., Roblox) to NFTs, a.k.a. non-fungible tokens.
The metaverse technology is a computerized world available through virtual reality headsets, populated by genuine individuals (existence of digital avatars) who experience a virtual world that was a longtime-science-fiction dream.
Is Metaverse the future? Let us take a deep dive into its working.
Virtual reality, Augmented reality, Mixed reality and the Metaverse:
A virtual reality headset is a heads-up display (HUD) that allows users to interact with simulated environments and experience a first-person view (FPV). VR headsets replace the user's natural environment with virtual reality content, such as a movie, a game, or a prerecorded 360-degree VR environment that allows the user to turn and look around, just as in the physical world. This is how virtual reality works!
Many different companies manufacture VR Headsets: Oculus Rift, Microsoft's Hololens ,PlayStation VR, Samsung Gear VR, etc. The objective of each sort of VR headset is to provide the viewer with a beautiful reality that's so genuine that the headset itself is overlooked; the person starts experiencing himself in another virtual world.
Augmented reality (AR) is the advanced version of the natural world witnessed through a digital visual appearance through technology.
Augmented reality's essential objectives are to highlight the essence of the physical world, improvise on physical world details, and determine savvy and open understanding that can be connected to real-world applications.
Augmented reality's best example is the AR-powered mobile game Pokémon Go. This is how augmented reality works!
Mixed Reality technology (MR) is referred to as hybrid reality; it combines virtual and physical universes to deliver a modern environment with virtual and physical objects empowered in real time. VR/AR/MR technologies will play an essential role in metaverse creation.
Magic Leap has introduced some influential MR games with high-profile franchises like Angry Birds.
Ever wondered how to get on the metaverse? Yes, you can be using the VR headsets, which will acquire augmented reality features as well.
How to access the metaverse?
Almost everyone aware of the hype of metaverse is eyeing how to join metaverse and what is required to the metaversal access. What if you get up and go to a wonderland you've always dreamt of one fine day? Hang on! It would help if you got some things done before that.
- Virtual Reality headsets: Many companies have been working over to create an ultimate digital experience for the VR and AR users since 2016. The Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset comes with in-built storage components that are graphics chip-backed digital visuals. Six built-in tracking cameras will guide you through the metaverse as per your movements and an Oculus controller to help you interact and grab the virtual objects. The headset carries a 360° super-awesome surround sound.
- Time to create a Metaverse avatar: 'Avatar' basically is the online digital representation of the user; it can be either 2D or 3D in appearance. A prominent example of an avatar is the 'Snapchat Bitmoji' we create inside the application. You can make yours here. For Metaverse, all you need is everything virtual, and so you create your avatar, where you can change everything right from the hair color to your clothes and much more!
You may create your avatar on various metaverse platforms. Also read Top Metaverse platforms in 2022!
- Explore the Metaverse: Are you wondering how to experience the Metaverse exactly? For this article, let us consider 'Decentraland Metaverse.' Of course, it would help if you had a crypto wallet to access, or you may continue as a guest. Here you can create your avatar as well! In the metaverse atmos, characters pop up as they teleport from one metaspace to another. Decentraland lets you leverage meta space gaming.
- Play games and make friends: While you play, you can also make new connections, interact and increase your network. You can witness a super-sonic VR experience with Google's Daydream VR headsets, now available in India.
Decentraland aims to create a purely decentralized virtual world where all users can be creators. USERS CAN BE CREATORS! Heard about NFTs? If not, check this: NFTs in India: The Next Big Thing. With the creation of NFTs, you can buy and sell them in the metaverse with crypto-currencies respective to the metaverse platform.
Where is the Metaverse heading now?
Mark Zuckerberg's idea to rebrand Facebook as Meta was no joke. Meta: A Social Technology Company is the foundation for meta world creation. Like every other company, 'Meta' too is building its metaverse for which they have already invested heavy capital. To add up to your knowledge, Oculus is owned by Meta.
Virtual shopping in the Metaverse:
With the integration of AI, virtual shopping lets you experience shopping within the metaverse. This advancement enables companies to track a customer’s action, buy history, taste, and demographic profile and use this information to supply modern and more personalized dress suggestions and empower buys.
This feature shall permit people to wander around in the virtual store, try any dress online through a 3D fitting room and indeed get a 360-degree see of what outfits see like.
Luxury fashion brands are also coming into the limelight with some cool collabs for the virtual shopping experience in the metaverse. They mainly include Gucci - Roblox, Louis Vuitton - League of Legends, etc.
Users will be able to shop for virtual merchandise and NFTs.
Let us buy land in the metaverse, but real or virtual?
Metaverse real estate includes investing and earning out of it as well. Just like the real world, you can invest in properties. Many famous celebs and superstars have invested in metaverse real estate in the form of plots. An average plot on Decentraland or Sandbox cost around $1000, which is now priced at nearly $13000.
A metaverse home will allow the user to show off his own house with all the unique digital collectibles. Today, buying digital land is just like our thought about buying a Bitcoin or NFT years back. Read more.
Things to do in the Metaverse:
- Networking: Metaverse is going to be a social stage for all the users. After all, it wouldn’t be much of a virtual “reality” on the off chance that clients didn’t get the opportunity to associate in a few ways or another. Sure, this applies to crypto trades and NFT buys, but it also includes socializing in a more classic sense.
- Invest, do business and make money: "How to Invest in Metaverse in India?" is a crucial question for all Indians around. Metaverse is a global platform and a decentralized system; no law or regulation rules it. If you are interested in investing or buying anything in the metaverse, all you need is a crypto wallet and cryptocurrency. You can mint your NFT into the metaverse as well. Metaverse investing is all about digital crypto investments.
- Shop like never-before: With the innovations in crypto currencies, it is possible to buy land, clothes, an art form, games, automobiles, and much more in this new virtual space. In this way, you create an identity for yourself in the second space the same way you would in a video game. Moreover, Bitcoin and Ethereum are globally supported to buy or sell anything in the Metaverse.
- Entertainment: Metaverse weddings, concerts, and events; Indians will gradually embrace this form of entertainment. India witnessed the first-ever metaverse concert hosted by the famous Indian singer Daler Mehndi on the occasion of 73rd Republic Day. Attendees from all over India enjoyed the concert sitting at their homes. The attendees could represent themselves as avatars, interact with others and experience the show in a virtual world. Explore more metaverse concerts at PartyNite: India's Very Own Metaverse.
Top Metaverse Platforms and Metaverse companies in India:
Metaverse development companies in India are now on a boom. Various cities in India, such as Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, and many others, have different development companies that provide Metaverse development services to their worldwide clients. Hyperlink Infosystem, HCL Technologies, Infosys, Capgemini Pvt. Ltd., TechM, Wipro, TCS, etc., are Indian companies that are part of the gold rush of the Metaverse development.
Metaverse arrives in India; all you need to know!
Indians stand 5th most interested in the evolution of metaverse among all other countries. NFTs and crypto, on the other hand, have become a hot topic, and people are investing and creating NFTs on a large scale.
Increasing start-ups, a vast talent pool, and young mindsets have massive scope for metaverse in India. Also, read more about Metaverse in India.
That's all from my side. Metaverse is a real big world to understand and express in just an article. Hoping this blog has introduced you to Metaverse and Metaverse applications. See you on the meta side!
Written by Ashay Chandekar from Deshpee. Images have the copyrights of the respective sources.